Staffordshire Police are running a firearms (including ancillary parts) and knife surrender on behalf of the Home Office. The surrender is a result of the Offensive Weapons Act 2019 and will commence on 10th December 2020 and conclude on 9th March 2021.

Once the measures in the Offensive Weapons Act 2019 prohibiting possession of these items come in to force, it will be an offence to possess them, aside from a few circumstances. However, before they are prohibited, the Act allows for legal owners of these items to surrender them to the police and claim compensation for their loss.

Which weapons are now prohibited and need to be surrendered?

45 items are now prohibited and need to be surrendered. These include certain knifes, firearms and ancillary parts.

Prohibited weapons can be found on the Home Office's Guidance for surrender and claiming compensation document.

Am I allowed to leave my house to surrender a weapon even though there is a national lockdown?

The firearm and knife surrender will continue to run until 9th March 2021 as it is important that these dangerous weapons are handed in. This means that you can leave your home to surrender weapons at designated police stations. The paperwork that you need to provide when surrendering a weapon can be used as evidence for your reason for leaving your home. You must comply with the relevant social distancing guidelines when at the police station and during your journey.

How do I surrender an offensive weapon?

Visit one of the following Police Stations from Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm with your weapon and accompanying paperwork:

  • Longton Police Station, Sutherland Road, Longton, ST3 1HH
  • Cannock Police Station, 15 Wolverhampton Road, Cannock, WS11 1AW
  • Burton Police Station, Horninglow Street, Burton-upon-Trent, DE14 1PA

Alternatively Leek Police Station will be open 9am – 1pm on the following Saturday’s for the purpose of this surrender only:

  • 12th December 2020
  • 2nd January 2021
  • 30th January 2021
  • 6th February 2021
  • 27th February 2021
  • 6th March 2021

The address is: Leek Police Station, Fountain Street, Leek, ST13 6QT

Please only visit the specified Police Stations to surrender your weapons and only on the days and times stated.

You must transport weapons to the Police Station safely and in a way that does not cause alarm to others. The weapon should remain wrapped and covered until the member of police staff invite you to unwrap or otherwise reveal the weapon.

When attending a Police Station please ensure you are complying with the relevant social distancing guidelines and obeying the instructions on the signage.

How does the compensation scheme work?

You will need to fill in the relevant forms and bring them with you when you surrender your weapon.

If you surrender an item on the prohibited list during the 3 month period a minimum compensation of £30 will be paid. The claim for compensation must be made at the time of surrender and proof of ownership needs to be provided. Proof of ownership can take the form of a dated receipt of purchase, or legal documentation showing inheritance or transfer of ownership etc, wherever possible showing when the item was acquired. Where any such evidence is unavailable, we can accept the declaration of ownership included at Part E of the compensation form, which must be completed in all cases by the owner of the weapon where financial compensation is being claimed.

If you are seeking compensation you can indicate on your form that you accept the ‘standard level of compensation’ for any of the items you are surrendering or if you are seeking a different amount of compensation. The standard levels of compensation for each item that can be surrendered under this scheme are set out on the application form. Proof of the value will also need to be provided if you believe the value is more than £30.

You won’t receive your compensation straight away and this isn’t provided by Staffordshire Police. We will send the relevant forms to the Home Office. They will assess the value and they will organise the payment into your bank account.

For any claim for compensation for an offensive weapon to be eligible under this scheme, you must have acquired the item, or have contracted to acquire the item, on or before 20 June 2018. There is an exception to this: in the case of cyclone knives, the relevant date is 22 January 2019. These dates relate to the dates on which the relevant legislation was first put before Parliament.

The owner of the offensive weapon can’t attend the Police Station. Can I bring it on their behalf?

The lawful owner of the weapon concerned must have completed the claim form and signed the declaration in all cases where compensation is being sought, whether or not the owner is able to attend the police station in person.

The officer or staff member who is dealing with the surrender must be satisfied that you are acting on behalf of the legal owner with his or her consent, if the latter is for any reason unable to attend the police station in person.

I have a knife that I would like to surrender but it isn’t on the list. What do I do?

You can still bring this to the applicable Police Stations and it will be disposed of safely. You will not receive compensation though.

I have a firearm that is on the list. What do I do?

Staffordshire Police will contact the owners of prohibited firearms directly and arrange an appointment for collection.