An investigation has opened into a distraction burglary in Burntwood.
Detectives from Staffordshire Police’s CID are appealing for information after a large sum of money was taken from a property on Oak Lane sometime before midday on Wednesday 4 August.
It’s believed the money was stolen whilst the homeowner was speaking with a man at the front door. He had been asking for access to the property so that he could do some work on the house next door.
It’s then reported another man entered the property through the back door, leaving with the money. The men, who are both described as white and in their 60s, then drove off in a tipper style van.
A short while later, there was a similar incident in Danby Drive, Cannock. On this occasion, the homeowner was told he had to pay £800 to fix a rat problem in his garden. However, he refused payment and the men left.
Enquiries into both incidents, including the assessment of CCTV footage, are underway.
Sergeant Peter Brazendale from force CID said: "We believe it’s possible that these two incidents are linked so we’re asking anyone with any information to get in touch.
"We just want to take this opportunity to remind people to not let anyone into your house who you don’t know and isn’t scheduled to be there. These distraction burglaries can have a devastating impact on victims so we ask that neighbours, family and friends look out for those who could be vulnerable to these individuals."
Anyone with any information should message Staffordshire Police on Facebook or Twitter quoting incident number 230 or 249 of 4 August, call 101 or alternatively contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.