Great response from public as Force deals with small number of COVID-19 related incidents
Main article content
A senior officer has praised communities across Staffordshire for following government guidelines on COVID-19 and their support for workers dealing with the outbreak.
Assistant Chief Constable Simon Tweats said the response from communities had been excellent with a relatively small number of incidents relating to COVID-19 where the force has had to respond.
“I’ve been out on patrol across Stoke-on-Trent and people have been incredibly supportive. It’s strange to see the streets so empty and it’s a difficult time but I want to thank people for working with us.
“Our aim is to encourage and support our communities to comply fully with these restrictions, however we will enforce against those who disregard these measures and put people at risk.”
“The vast majority of people are fully complying with the guidance and advice and we want to work with them to prevent the spread of COVID-19.”
Officers were called to the Royal Stoke Hospital on Tuesday (March 31) following allegations a woman had spat at nursing staff.
A 51-year-old woman from Blurton has been charged with assaulting an emergency worker and appeared in court yesterday (April 1). She has been remanded in custody to appear on April 8.
The force is investigating another report of assault and has also checked on reports of pub premises remaining open in Tamworth and Hednesford.
ACC Tweats said: “There have been a small number of incidents we’ve had to deal with but overall the response from the public has been brilliant.
“It’s going to be tempting to go out in the warm weather but we want people to stay home wherever possible. Please continue to work with us and help us to help you stay safe.”
“We all have a shared responsibility to protect the NHS, please stay at home and save lives.”
For information, advice and links please visit https://www.staffordshire.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/c19/coronavirus-covid-19/