We use cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more Accept and Close
Non-Emergency Enquiries: 101
We are working on a new website with a range of new services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

Criminal Damage

Criminal damage is where a person destroys or damages property belonging to another.

PC male and female officer walking outside down an alleyway daylightWhat is it?

These are crimes where a person destroys or damages property belonging to another. The damage caused must be deliberate and permanent to be classed as criminal damage.

Why do something about it?

This is a crime type which has a high level of repeat victimisation - nationally around a third of victims are targeted again within a year. This type of offence undermines the pride people take in their community.

It can effect staff morale and be off putting to customers. It can also lead to an increased risk of other types of crime - burglars are more likely to target properties that have already had criminal damage.

What can be done?

  • Specific crime incidents should be reported to police by calling the single non-emergency number - 101.
  • Improve surveillance - look at investing in CCTVor talk to other local businesses about working together and supporting each other.
  • Carry out repairs rapidly to reduce the risk of escalation.
  • Contact your crime reduction officer for advice on target-hardening.
  • Talk to your local Police Community Support Officer - they can take details of the general problem and complete a citizens' contact record with you.