We use cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more Accept and Close
Non-Emergency Enquiries: 101
We are working on a new website with a range of new services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

How can I get my impounded car back?

To release your impounded car you will need to attend the police station specified on the seizure form, during the hours of 9am and 4pm to produce the requested documentation:

To release your impounded car you will need to attend the police station specified on the seizure form, during the hours of 9am and 4pm, to produce the requested documentation:

  • The Vehicle Seizure UNIL1 form
  • Full V5C Vehicle Registration Document in the owner's name

For uninsured vehicle seizures there are 5 police stations throughout the County where documents can produced to secure the release of vehicles. Only these police stations can provide release documentation on vehicles that have been seized:

  • Cannock Police Station
  • Burton Police Station
  • Longton Police Station

Where the owner does not have full V5C the following may be accepted, but only if the DVLA is not showing a different current keeper on their database:

  • New owner slip, with a completed V62 form and substantive proof of purchase (i.e. invoice from an approved auction or garage sale). Hand written receipts will not be accepted.


  • Proof that a V62 has been completed and paid for at the Post Office. A fee of £25 is charged for this by the Post Office. They will send this to the DVLA to request a V5C to be sent to the new keeper.
  • If the DVLA is still showing a current keeper on their database, which is not the person trying to reclaim the vehicle then the new keeper will have to send off the V62 form at the Post Office and wait for their V5 to be sent to them before they can produce their documents at the Police Station and then collect their vehicle. During this time the storage charges [68KB]  will continue to accrue on a daily basis.
    • During this time it is advisable for the owner to contact the Staffordshire Police Vehicle Recovery Department so that they are aware that there may be a delay in the recovery of the vehicle, to prevent the vehicle from being disposed. They can be contacted via email to vr@staffordshire.pnn.police.uk OR by telephone on 01785 235134.
  • Valid driving licence - The following are acceptable:-
  • a UK photo card driving licence. If you have the old paper licence you will need to bring your passport or another verifiable form of photo ID (one listed above).
  • an EU/EEA photo card driving licence along with a passport or EU/EAA identity card.
  • a non-EU/EEA driving licence together with an International Driver's Permit or an official translation, plus a passport or other evidence of immigration status and date of arrival in the UK.
  • if you have already surrendered your licence to the police we will need evidence of this together with another type of verifiable photo ID (one listed above).
  • Current insurance documents for the seized vehicle (ensuring it allows for the release of a vehicle from a police compound).
  • Compound insurance - A standard insurance policy will not suffice and a special impounded car insurance policy is required. Without the correct policy you will not be able to retrieve your car and will incur further daily fees.
  • Short term insurance or temporary cover (less than 30 days) may not be valid to reclaim a seized vehicle. Please check the wording on the certificate or cover note. If in doubt, contact your insurer before you come to the pound. If we are not satisfied that your insurance is valid for the release of an impounded vehicle, we may ask you to provide written confirmation from your insurer.
  • Trade or business insurance policies can be produced as long as the policy:
    • Specifically names the driver who is collecting the vehicle.
    • Specifically lists the vehicle on the stock list.
    • Trade policies will only be accepted if accompanied by stock books and VAT registration certificate. The driver should also have declared to the police officer who seized the vehicle that they were driving the vehicle for business purposes.
  • Documents will not be accepted on face value. Checks will be completed in conjunction with the DVLA and Motor Insurers' Bureau. Direct contact will also be made with your insurance company. Please note that this could lead to your insurer withdrawing cover if you have not advised them of any driving convictions or pending convictions.