We use cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more Accept and Close
Non-Emergency Enquiries: 101
We are working on a new website with a range of new services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

Going to Court

Your case will go to court if someone is arrested and charged by the police. You will be assigned a case worker from a prosecution hub who will take care of you through to the end of the case.

Your case worker will:

  • Keep you up to date with the progress of your case
  • Give you information regarding the dates and locations of court hearings
  • Inform you if you are required to give evidence at court
  • Arrange a pre-trial court visit for you with the Witness Service
  • Update you with the outcome of the case, whether or not the suspect is found guilty and details of any sentence imposed.

If you are called to court the Witness Service can help you. They will run the pre-trial court visit for you, explain what to expect and support you at any court appearance.

Help in Court - Special Measures

Some witnesses can be considered for special measures at court because of their age or the type of offence they witnessed.

The special measures available to vulnerable and intimidated witnesses may include:

  • Screens in the courtroom to prevent you from seeing the defendant
  • Live links allowing you to give evidence away from the courtroom via a live TV link
  • Evidence in private allowing you privacy by clearing the public gallery whilst you give evidence
  • Removal of wigs and gowns by judges and barristers
  • Visually recorded statements allowing the police to obtain your account by video interview rather than a written statement in certain circumstances. The prosecution can apply for this to be used instead of you physically giving evidence in court
  • Support from an Intermediary to help you understand and answer the questions being asked
  • Communication aids to help you give evidence such as symbol boards and voice synthesisers.

The police and Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) will apply for special measure on your behalf but the court will make the final decision about whether or not the special measures requested can be used. Your case worker will discuss this with you.

What Happens after the Court Case?

Your case worker will notify you of the result of any court case including details of any sentence imposed.

Sometimes the suspect will appeal against the sentence or the conviction. This is when they ask for the judge's decision to be changed or for the sentence to be reduced.

If the offender is allowed to appeal your case worker will tell you where and when the appeal hearing will take place.

Quality of Service

Around the clock the officers, staff and volunteers of Staffordshire Police are committed to delivering exceptional service to our communities.

If you are particularly happy or unhappy with the service you have received, please visit Compliments and Complaints.