We use cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more Accept and Close
Non-Emergency Enquiries: 101
We are working on a new website with a range of new services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

Out of Court Disposal

To be suitable for an out of court disposal:

  • The police must have evidence that the offender has committed an offence
  • The offender must admit to the behaviour or offence and agree to the out of court disposal; and
  • The officer must think the evidence is enough for court proceedings but considers an Out of Court Disposal would be more appropriate
  • The police officer must have consulted with you to discuss the resolution or conditions to be imposed.

The following disposals are available to the police:

Community resolutions such as:

Reparation to the victim - for example, repairing damage.

Reparation to the community - for example, by doing unpaid work in the local area such as litter picking or cleaning up graffiti.

Paying compensation - for example, to the victim or for theft and shoplifting.

Structured Activity - for example, drug and alcohol treatment services, to be offered as part of a conditional caution.

Enter an agreement - for example: an Acceptable Behaviour contract where the perpetrator agrees to behave appropriately in the future or face more formal consequences.

Mediation - for example: to help resolve a dispute between neighbours.

Youth Cautions - for those aged between 10-17 years of age.

Youth Conditional Cautions - for those aged between 10-17 years of age.

Conditional Cautions - for those aged 18 years and over.

Out of court disposals aim to give victims more say in the punishment of offenders out of court, and to deal proportionately with the offence committed.