We use cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more Accept and Close
Non-Emergency Enquiries: 101
We are working on a new website with a range of new services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

Reporting a Crime

When you report a crime either by dialling emergency 999, or non-emergency 101, a specially trained call taker will ask you questions and put the details onto the police computer. The details will then be sent to a dispatcher who will allocate the most suitable officer or team to respond.

This could be an immediate response, or an appointment. Sometimes investigations may be carried out over the phone and a visit from an officer may not be necessary.

You will be given a crime reference number to use for insurance or criminal injuries compensation claims. This number will be allocated to your reported crime and is viewable to all officers.

After Reporting a Crime

Once you have reported a crime the police will ask you questions about what has happened and will record the details you provide. You can have someone with you for support during this time, such as a family friend or relative as long as they are over 18 and not connected with the offence.

You may also be asked to make a witness statement which will include information such as when the crime took place, where it occurred and what you saw and heard.

You must tell the police if:

  • You later remember something you have not included in your witness statement
  • You need support to help you deal with the effect of the crime or if your needs change
  • You have specific needs such as mobility, communication or religious requirements which have not already been recorded
  • If the crime involved any type of hostility, for example if you were targeted because of your race, sexuality, religion, disability or gender identity
  • Your contact details change

The Next Steps

If your case is not going to progress to court (even if a suspect has been identified and interviewed) then the officer will explain the reasons for this.

Victims' Right to Review

Victims in Staffordshire have the right to request a review of a decision by Staffordshire Police not to prosecute a suspect.

Click here for more information on Victims' Right to Review.

Victim Personal Statement

If you have provided an officer with a witness statement you will be offered the opportunity to make a Victim Personal Statement (VPS). This is your way of telling people working within the criminal justice system how being a victim of crime has affected you.

Your VPS gives you a voice and helps the court understand what you have been through.

Making a VPS is voluntary. Before deciding to do this, you will be advised by the police that if the case reaches court, your VPS will be seen by the defence. You may also be asked questions about your VPS during the trial.

You will be asked if you would like to have your VPS read out or played in court if the defendant pleads guilty or is found guilty. The decision to allow you to read out your VPS personally is for the court to make and you will be notified of their decision by your Case Worker.

If you choose not to have your VPS read out it will still be taken into consideration by the court. If your VPS is discussed in court the details could be reported in the media.

Your VPS can include information such as:

  • Any physical, financial, emotional or psychological injury you have suffered
  • If you feel vulnerable or intimidated
  • If you no longer feel safe
  • The impact the crime has had on your family
  • How your quality of life has changed on a day-to-day basis
  • If you need or are receiving any additional support.

A VPS can be made, or updated, any time before the alleged offender is sentenced. If a defendant pleads guilty at first hearing they may be sentenced before you have had chance to make your VPS so do not delay if you wish to make one.

If you want to make a VPS or update one already made, contact the police officer dealing with your case or your Case Worker.

Business Impact Statement

All businesses or enterprises (such as charities) are entitled to make a Business Impact Statement (BIS) if they have been a victim of crime.

This allows you to detail how the crime has affected your business. It can include any financial impact (assets stolen or damaged), indirect financial impact (loss of custom) and non-financial impact (reputational damage or physical injuries sustained by staff or customers.)

You can make a BIS and a VPS (Victim Personal Statement).