We use cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more Accept and Close
Non-Emergency Enquiries: 101
We are working on a new website with a range of new services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

Are you an abuser?

If you are an abuser you should be aware that you will be held accountable for your behaviour.

This means:

  • If a criminal offence is committed, officers will conduct a thorough investigation
  • When sufficient evidence has been gathered, you may be arrested, regardless of whether the victim wishes to make a complaint or not
  • You may be detained in police custody pending appearance at court
  • At court, you may be remanded in custody or released on bail conditions which will restrict your activities
  • It is the decision of the Crown Prosecution Service to prosecute the case in the public interest. The victim CANNOT have the "charges dropped".

Bail conditions

Bail conditions are imposed in order to minimise any potential future risk of harm that you may pose as a result of your alleged violent offending behaviour. This means that Staffordshire Police will enforce any domestic abuse bail conditions relating to you by carrying out unannounced visits to places from which you are excluded, or places you are required to be. Regular enquiries will also be made to ensure you do not make contact with anyone specifically named in your bail conditions.

Key points to note:

  • Staffordshire Police will use a range of investigative methods at their disposal to build the strongest possible case against you.
  • It is the Crown Prosecution Service who make decisions in relation to prosecution
  • It is your responsibility to comply fully with any bail conditions
  • Any breaches of bail will be treated as such even if you state that you have reconciled with your partner.

How to get help

Have you been violent or abusive? Do you think you have a problem controlling your anger with your partner? If you are an abuser or have abused in the past and recognise that in order to change your behaviour you need help there are services available.

The following organisation may be able to assist you:

Respect www.respectphoneline.org.uk

0808 802 4040