We use cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more Accept and Close
Non-Emergency Enquiries: 101

Who pays for the GP report if one is requested with my application?

The applicant pays for the report, not the police.

Payment for GP reports requested in connection with applications for Firearms & Shotgun Certificates (both grant and renewal) - in order to provide a nationally consistent approach to the requesting of medical reports associated with applications and as recently directed by National Police Chiefs' Council, fees for GP reports, which are considered to be proportionate, will now be paid for by applicants and not by the police force to whom the application is made.  This slight change in service is required due to ongoing cuts in government funding to the police service as prescribed in spending reviews. 

Back to Firearms Licensing FAQs