We use cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more Accept and Close
Non-Emergency Enquiries: 101
We are working on a new website with a range of new services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

Q: I have been raped but I am too scared to come forward. What is the procedure and will the police take the report seriously?

A: Police take all reports of sexual attacks very seriously regardless of the nature of the offence.

You will first speak to a uniformed officer who will ask you some general questions (you can ask to speak to an officer of a certain gender if it would make you more comfortable), you will then be taken to a specialist suite where you will be spoken to by specially trained officers. The questions that these officers ask will be more in depth.

Don't worry if you feel embarrassed or ashamed, the officers are specially trained to help you. If you consent you will undergo a medical examination by a trained police medical examiner. An officer will be allocated to your case and will keep you regularly updated on its progress.