We use cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more Accept and Close
Non-Emergency Enquiries: 101
We are working on a new website with a range of new services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

Anti-Social Behaviour FAQs

Q: There are gangs of youths hanging around on street corners drinking what can be done about them?

A: If this is a one off incident then you should contact Staffordshire police who, if possible, will try and attend and disperse the youths. Staffordshire police do now have powers to confiscate alcohol from youths in a public place including open and sealed containers (subject to certain conditions).

If this is a persistent problem then it could be classed as anti-social behaviour and you should contact Staffordshire Police who will over a period of time collate the necessary evidence against the youths with a view for eventually obtaining civil injunctions or Criminal Behaviour Orders. Unfortunately this will not happen overnight as the police and local council have to ensure that they have all the necessary evidence.

Q: I am worried that my child is at risk from local gangs. Do you have any advice?

A: The NSPCC has introduced a new helpline service for adults who are concerned about their children in relation to street gangs. The number is 0808 800 5000. The Government has also produced a leaflet giving advice to parents regarding children and street gangs. Please see the links in the Related Information section.

Q: Can a person be arrested for just swearing in the street?

A: You could be arrested for swearing in the street. There are various offences which can be committed involving the use of threatening abusive words or behaviour. The effect on others and the intention of the person swearing would be some of the factors to consider when deciding whether or not an offence had been committed.