We use cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more Accept and Close
Non-Emergency Enquiries: 101

Noise Nuisance

Noise nuisances can have a significant impact on a person's quality of life.

Noise nuisances, including noisy neighbours, are dealt with by your local council who have environmental teams with the legal powers to assist in tackling these issues. However, the police may get involved in exceptional situations.

Vehicle noise nusance blueExamples of noise nuisances dealt with by councils include:

  • loud music or television
  • raised voices
  • animal noise (e.g. barking dogs)
  • noise from pubs or clubs
  • home improvement at unreasonable hours of the day
  • car and house alarms going off
  • noise from loudspeakers, machinery or vehicles in the street
  • noise from demolition or construction works
  • noise from commercial or industrial premises

They cannot take action against noise from normal traffic, aircraft, children playing or any reasonable domestic activities.

The police have no powers of prosecution for noise offences, but will attend in instances where there is noise arising from a crime in progress or where there is a potential threat or risk of harm to a member of the public eg. domestic incidents.

To make a complaint about general noise nuisances, please contact your Local Authority.

Most council websites offer advice, reporting forms, fact sheets and record sheets so you can log dates and times of when the noise nuisance has occurred over a period of time.

If you are unsure of which local authority is responsible for your area, visit Find Your Local Council.