We use cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more Accept and Close
Non-Emergency Enquiries: 101
We are working on a new website with a range of new services available. You can try it out here and let us know what you think.

Collisions Involving an Animal

Collisions Involving an Animal (dog, goat, horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig).

Some animals are not included in the definition of 'animal' given in the road traffic act, however if you are involved in an incident involving the above you are required to report this to the police by law.

Contact should be made with the police as soon as possible and within 24 hours of the collision.

You will be asked your name and contact details, details of the vehicle and animal involved. Whether there are any witnesses. You may also be asked if you have traced the animal's owner and if the collision has created further hazards.

Following this assessment there may be no need for an officer to  attend, but you will be given an incident reference when you contact Staffordshire Police, for insurance purposes.

Please report using Staffordshire Police 101 system, unless there immediate risk to other road users when 999 emergency should be used.