Staffordshire Police

Access Keys and Skip to main content link

Contact us

Postal address:
Firearms Licensing Unit
Staffordshire Police
Weston Road
ST18 0YY

Tel: 01785 232790
Fax: 01785 218722
Email: Firearms Licensing (Opens in new window)

Page tools

Main Content

Firearms and Explosives Licensing

The Staffordshire & West Midlands Firearms and Explosives Licensing is responsible for the management of all aspects of the licensing of firearms/shotguns and explosives including the issue of certificates to individuals, gun clubs, firearms dealers and visitors permits. We aim to provide a high quality delivery of service with due regard for public safety and to support the legal, safe and secure possession of firearms within the Staffordshire & West Midlands area.

The unit provides an advisory service to the public, police officers and the shooting sports community.  


Please read through the list of Frequently Asked Questions if you do have any problems relating to an application.  Your question may be covered without the need to contact us.

On this site you will find checklist guidance for the completion of application forms for firearm/shotgun certificates, plus RFD & visitor information, including current fees. Please follow the appropriate checklists carefully to avoid unnecessary delay to your application and if you have any queries please contact us. This unit is open for telephone enquiries Monday-Friday 8.30am to 4.00pm. We have also included some basic advice about firearm safety and security together with answers to our most frequently asked questions.  


The Form 101, Form 103 and Form 125 will no longer be accepted as of 1st January 2014. 
The Firearms and Shotgun Grant/Renewal application forms have been replaced with a Form 201 and accompanying notes Form 201A.  For variations Form 202.
When applying for a firearm certificate, you should have gained the permission of two people who have agreed to act as referees for you.  YOU must complete Part F (i and ii) with their details.
When applying for a shotgun certificate, the requirement for a countersignatory has changed.  You should have gained the permission of one person to act as a referee for you.  YOU must complete part F(i) with their details.
The referee(s) who have agreed to act for you must have known you personally for at least two years and must be resident in Great Britain.  Referees must not be a member of your family, a registered firearms dealer, a serving police officer or police employee.  Referees must be of good character and any references they agree to provide must be given freely and not on payment.  


Footer Links